Sunday, June 21, 2009

Hell on a Bike

That's my take on HHH Saturday. Horrible is right, some of those hills were downright ridiculous. Picture putting it in the granny gear, turning the pedals over at 40-50 rpm, while simultaneously seeming to try and push your feet through the bottom of your shoes and rip your handlebars from the bike. At times for miles at a crack. Expletives were flowing freely from all fronts.

Oh, and it was hot and humid, with not much in the way of cloud cover. So full sun, high humidity, and ridiculous hills. Joy.

Did have the pleasure of riding with some good company. First 40 or so miles it was myself and Amy Jo. At the second rest stop we met up with some others, including lazy marathoner, who had flown in from New York for a week of IM training Wisconsin style.

The downhills were a blast, many times reaching the 4o mph mark while not really trying. But after about 30 miles even the downhills started to lose their appeal. If we were doing downhill it only meant another stupid climb was around the corner.

AJ was having major bike problems until the first rest stop where the REI mechanics did a hell of job on her bike. As a result we walked up portions of two hills. After that I made it up every hill without having to walk, including the final climb through the park. I did stop at the top of a lot of them to regain my composure, but I made it up, and for that I am happy.

Total distance covered, 66.82 miles. Total time actually riding (there was much rest), 4:48:35. Average pace, 13.9 mph. There were many times climbing hills I would look down and state "I can run faster than this". There were even a couple times I realized I could walk faster than I was currently riding.

Saturday I'm contemplating taking on the full IM course with many of the same crew I rode with yesterday. Should feel like a peace of cake by comparison.

3 comments:

Kristin Bradfield said...

"Picture putting it in the granny gear, turning the pedals over at 40-50 rpm, while simultaneously seeming to try and push your feet through the bottom of your shoes and rip your handlebars from the bike." - That is the BEST description ever! Only I think I was below 40rpms at times, I'm amazed I didn't roll downhill.

bigmike600 said...

I thought I was crazy for signing up for IMWI, you're crazier.

Watch for a boatload of people riding that course Saturday. Its the WIBA adventure and I think there are like 50 or so people signed up. We are swimming the Pleasant Prairie open water challenge 2 mile swim then driving to Fireman's park in Verona and making one loop and meeting back up with everyone in Fireman's park.

You should have done the 200K :)

Tea said...

YES! FInally someone I can relate to! Hills are hard! I can't tell you how many times I've said the same thing about being able to run faster.

The positive side is that we get better. Even though progress is slow, we get better! Someday I hope to ride faster than I can run, but in meantime, I guess I'll just take in the scenery a bit.