Saturday, December 15, 2007

Don't just buy stuff. Do stuff.

Get a drink, a snack maybe, and get comfortable. This turned into a fairly long post.

I hate Christmas. That may be a little harsh, but it's pretty much right on track. It hasn't always been that way, and I'm not exactly sure when it started, but I just can't stand what this holiday has become. The true christmas purists will tell you it's all about getting together with family and loved ones and spending quality time together. Seems to me it's just a front to exchange useless crap we'd never buy ourselves and will likely never use. And the time and effort we all put in to find and buy this useless crap is incredible. Not that there is any thought going into it, we're given a list to pick from or we select from the wide selection of gift cards available. How thoughtful.

I do enjoy watching our kids open gifts, it is fun, especially with a glass of "christmas cheer" in hand. But it's disappointing when you ask your kids what the meaning of christmas is and all they can answer is "presents". Worse still when one of them is actually in a catholic school. I don't know how to change things, seems too big to overcome.

Which brings us back to the title of this post and Radio Shack's tag line, "Don't just buy stuff. Do Stuff". It's not going to make me start shopping at Radio Shack, but it really hits home for me. I don't remember many, if any, of the gifts I received as a kid. But I do recall a lot of the trips we took and the things we did. Fishing at Pelican Lake and up in Minnesota for a week every summer. Crying at the end of the week because I didn't want to go home. Skiing in the Kettle Moraine, up in Michigan, and out in Colorado. Golfing with Grandpa Slimmer on summer weekends at Crystal Lake. I still remember clearing the water from the tee on #5 for the first time, and what is still the only eagle I've ever shot (on #8, and no, they don't taste like chicken). Hunting brings up a whole host of other memories, and probably could be a post all it's own, thanks Larry.

Don't get me wrong, these trips weren't always the happiest of times. We had our issues just like any family, but I remember them fondly, and they've helped shape me into who I am today, much more so than any toy I got at Christmas.

Recently we asked our kids if they would rather have a bunch of toys for Christmas or go on vacation. Reactions were mixed, leaning towards toys, but eventually they got on board with vacation. We haven't told them yet, but we booked a trip to Florida. It'll be our first time flying with the kids, should be interesting. Hopefully they'll remember the trip longer than the extra toys they would have received. We'll see.

There is a triathlon related side to this post, it's not just me on my soap box. This morning I signed G and I up for the Bigfoot Olympic Distance Triathlon. She has no idea, but I know she can swim and run those distances in her sleep. We've had a long standing argument over who would win in a triathlon between us. I've recently done the math, and over this distance I'm not sure I can pull it off. Anything longer and I'm certain I'll be waiting for her at the finish line. Merry Christmas G, and good luck to you. I'm looking forward (perhaps backwards is more appropriate) to spending the day out on the course with you. Hopefully this will give me the motivation I need to get back into some sort of routine. Game on!!

Do stuff. I know it's late in the Christmas season, but think about it going forward.

Happy holidays and Merry @$!*&#$ Christmas.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT???!!!! Just for that, I'm leaving you in my bubbles!

Anonymous said...

Oh - one other thing...it would be nice to spend the day on the course with you, but I don't think you'll really see me, except when I am lapping you on the run course :)

IronMin said...

"Seems to me it's just a front to exchange useless crap we'd never buy ourselves and will likely never use. And the time and effort we all put in to find and buy this useless crap is incredible." Truer words were never spoken. You hit the nail on the head! I think it's awesome that you are taking the holiday to create memories with your family instead of just creating more stuff. It's so hard to not fall prey to the holiday madness (I succumb every year).
On your other note, Bigfoot will be fun and it's an awesome swag bag. Even though it's not about the stuff, sometimes the stuff is not so bad!