Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Downward Spiral

I woke up in the middle of the night a week ago Monday with a terrible sore throat.  The throat is somewhat better, but I still have a nasty cough and a cold of some sort to go with it.  Things have started draining so I hope it's coming around, but it's all but terminated any thoughts of training over the last week.

Thursday, prior to the last snow, it was warm(er), clear skies, and no wind.  I forced myself out on the mountain bike.  It was nice enough to be out, but I was miserable.  Sunday I attempted to run, made it about 1-mile out, turned around and walked home.  Haven't even thought about swimming.

Bad thing about being sick for me, I tend to fall back on old habits.  Habits like say, poor nutrition.  And I'm not talking an occasional slip, we're talking full blown typical overweight lazy American eating habits.  No breakfast, fast food, fried food, ice cream, etc.  Check, I bet Burger King stock is up over the last week.  And now, to top things off, Easter candy.

Sick + bad diet = ambition and energy levels in the toilet. 

The trump card is the weather.  Eight inches of snow the day after I'm out riding my bike.  I'm tired of riding in the basement, tired of wearing every piece of clothes I own to run. I want spring, I want warm, I want to wear shorts and a t-shirt from now until fall, and I will.  Give me 50 degrees and sun and I will all but abandon pants for the next 6-months.

I need something to get me out of this funk.  The 10-day forecast starts to come around next week.  I may just wait and take this week off as well.  We'll see.

No comments: