Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Tale of Two Rides

Monday, get home from work, hop on tri-bike. Moderate wind, cool. Ride over to Oregon and back. 25+ miles, almost 16mph. Longest ride to date. Didn't feel to bad, ass is sore, but otherwise ok.

Today, haul mountain bike to office, plan to ride home. It's warmer, 60's, but windy, 20mph windy, out of the south, the very direction I travel home.

It.

Was.

Brutal.

17+ miles, at a whopping 11 mph. Time on bike virtually identical to Monday. For maybe 2-miles the wind was with me, the rest was either straight into it or blow you off the road cross winds. Fun. And without the joy of riding a tailwind on a return trip.

To make matters worse, as I'm pulling into soccer practice at the end of the ride, I go to jump the curb and I just don't have enough in my legs to get the back tire up. And over I go. Only a dozen or so parents around. The little pride I have, gone.

If the wind is still coming out of the south, I may just ride back up in the morning. Ride the wind.

2 comments:

Alili said...

I feel your pain. Wednesday I rode against those winds. Pokey slow.

IronMin said...

The wind just sucks. Sorry you endo'ed in front of people, that is totally something I would do. I've fallen over on the bike while trying to unclip at a traffic light. Embarassing, but hey - at least you were on your bike! That's more than a lot of people can say. There has got to be points for that. Oh - I loved your comment on my blog this week. "I'll be your huckleberry" is one of my all-time favorite lines. I cracked up when I read it!