Friday, August 1, 2008

Humbled....

or just plain embarrassed, you decide.

Let's set the stage, I'm about 8-miles into my ride home from work, heading east on Cottage Grove Road going up the hill over the interstate.

When I get passed by a guy on a road bike, wearing a backpack, with a cast on one leg.

Let me repeat that for those of you in the cheap seats.

A dude on a road bike,

wearing a backpack,

with a cast on one leg,

passed me,

going up a hill.

Lest you think this is over, it is not, not by a long shot. I immediately catch back up to him and sit on his wheel. This lasts for about 12 seconds before he slowly pulls away from me.

This particular hill is fairly long but pretty gradual, so I keep him in my sights, he's not getting away. After a minute I pull it together and decide it's time to reel him in.

Ever so slowly I think he's coming back to me, I'm about to implode, but I just can't let him go. And then he turns, and the chase is over.

Normally I don't care all that much, I'm slow, I'm used to it, but this was too much.

No comments: