Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Ice

Mass balance calcs indicate that it would take approximately 12,202,995 cubic feet of ice to lower the water temperature of Pleasant Creek Lake from 79 to 77 degrees.  That's the entire 401 acre lake from top to bottom.  But, let's be realistic, we don't need to cool the entire lake down.

The swim area will occur in a roughly 50-acre area of the lake, if we concern ourselves with only this area, and only the upper 3-feet of this area, our required volume is down to just 304,314 cubic feet, again, approximately.

Logistics could be a problem.  But, if I could convince each of the 587 individuals registered to bring ice, we're only looking at 518 cubic feet each.  That's doable....

3 comments:

Team Brazo said...

Can you run your calc's on the Ohio River in Louisville -- need to get that river under 78 degrees also. Maybe we could just use ice packs from all the individuals registered...

Robert said...

I looked into it, and, well, you're screwed. It may be time to befriend the race director, an option I myself am considering.

bigmike600 said...

I doubt the lake will be under 78, and in fact I bet it is above 80 on race day.