Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Protest and Frustration

G and I did a sprint triathlon last weekend in New Glarus, Alphornman, small first year race, maybe a 100 participants.  G wanted to do another sprint, some friends were also going out, so I tagged along.  

My frustration and subsequent protest stems from my swim time, which I refuse to believe is correct.  11 minutes flat for a 450 yard pool swim (it also included a very short run to the edge of the pool area, maybe 5 seconds). That's 2:26 per 100 yards.  2:25 if you subtract the run.

Here are my swim paces for previous races this year.  I am not Michael Phelps, nobody will ever confuse us, in or out of the water.  With the exception of Capitol View, all of these swims are significantly longer than the 450 I did this weekend.

Aquathon #1 -   2:21/
Capitol View -  1:56/
Aquathon #2 -   1:45/
Bigfoot -       2:13/
Aquathon #3 -   1:48/

At Aquathon #1 I held onto a kayak at one point to catch my breath and swam the entire second leg on my back with my hands folded on my stomach (along with some of each of the other legs), yet still 5 seconds faster than last weekend?

Bigfoot was much the same, miserable swim, walked and/or stood still to catch my breath regularly on the second half of the swim, but 13 seconds faster per 100?

Aquathon #3 was reportedly long, and still 38 seconds per 100 faster?

I've emailed the race director, very nicely, asking that results and swim seedings be posted, so I can compare my swim time to those in my lane/wave.  No response, and nothing at all has been posted.  That's the frustrating part.

Other than that, good race, challenging bike, flat run, good support.  G won her age group and I think was the 3rd overall girl.  I finished maybe 11th in the boys.  And yes, she beat me, by about the difference between my posted and what should be my expected swim time.

I feel better now, hopefully I can focus on the pig.  Thinking about pig makes me hungry, mmmm bacon.

No comments: