Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Morning Swim

I don't know how people work out in the early mornings.  I'm just not a morning person, but do to some scheduling issues I needed to swim this morning.  It was my first early am swim of the year.  The following is a synopsis of my morning.

3:30 - Wake up, pray that I slept through alarm and don't have time to swim.  Look at clock.  Crap.  Try to go back to sleep.

3:50 - Get up, use bathroom, back to bed, try to go back to sleep.

4:15 - Dog's up, get up, let him out, back to bed, try to go back to sleep.

5:06 - Alarm goes off, snooze, try one last time to sleep

5:16 - Alarm again, finally get up.

5:33 - Arrive at pool.  Many cars in lot, going to be a busy pool.

5:45 - Finally get out of truck, walk in the building, walk through locker room to check status of pool.  Looks like there is room for me.  Damn the luck.  Use bathroom, get dressed, use bathroom again, shower, head for pool, talk to lifeguard (one last attempt to stall).

6:00 - Start swimming.

I'll admit, once I started swimming it didn't completely suck.  The one good thing,  a whole new cast of characters in the water.  People that I typically don't see at night.  Nothing too unusual, but enough to keep it interesting.

I had until 7:30 to complete my swim so I didn't feel rushed at all and I just swam while trying not to fall asleep.  Got through my 3,000 yards in 1:18+.  Good enough.  The last 1,000 or so were hard only because I was getting really hungry.  I get the feeling today is going to be one of those days where I eat constantly.


2 comments:

Trishie said...

I was with you in spirit this morning ! I HATE getting up early, leaving my warm bed for a COLD pool... but I know I have to do it. I got in 2500M this am (was supposed to be 3200 but I got a late start and barely made it to court on time anyhow ;)). great swim !

Icarus Steve said...

I stumbed upon your blog through someone elses -- I found this very funny because I had my first night swim on Monday night. There are different charaters in the pool.