Sunday, May 24, 2009

Half Time

Madison Half Marathon this morning. Beautiful day, probably started in the low 50's, upper 60's by the time we finished. Few clouds, some sun, one very brief sprinkle, good day for a run.

Short version, went out with some friends and the 2-hour pace group. Two of us ditched the 2-hour group about 7-miles in. Although it wasn't hot, I was struggling to stay cool. I think it was the aid station at the 4-mile mark where I first dumped water on my head. I repeated that process three other times during the race. More water went over my head then into me.

I never really was thirsty, but I should have made more of an attempt to get some calories in. By the end I was dead, no gas left in the tank, and no kick for the finish line. Other than the first mile, where it was so congested it was hard to get up to speed, mile 13 was my slowest at 9:09. Mile 9 was my fastest at 8:27, followed by mile 11 at 8:31. I guess those two stretches may have had something to do with me dieing at the end.

The results, which I'm thrilled with by the way.

Overall - 1,108/3,685 (finishers)

Men - 715/1503

Age Group - 128/258


Total Time: 1:55:03 (8:47/mile)

After hanging around the finish line and the cool down area for a bit, I did what any normal triathlete would do after running a half marathon, I rode my bike home. Nothing serious, a fairly easy 16-mile "cool down" ride. Legs are definitely sore now, tomorrow should be interesting.

5 comments:

Molly said...

Wow! Great job! Congrats on a good race :)

Robert Lejeune said...

Good job on your half :) Way to get a cool down after it too!

Trishie said...

Congrats on a GREAT RACE ! =D

I did what any normal triathlete would do after running a half marathon, I rode my bike home. hahaha --- you might want to suffer through an ice bath today ... that helps with the pain that's sure to come ;)

Team Brazo said...

Congrats on your sub-2hr. I've only run one half-marathon - but it certainly is my favorite distance to race - I can still go slow, but I'm done before I'm in deep pain.

Katie said...

Nice job Robert!

I wish I would've been there to attempt a sub 2 with you. Instead I spent the weekend sick. Like can't swallow or breath, nose won't stop running, I should be quarantined, sick. Boo!

Congrats on the awesome finish. :)