Sunday, May 3, 2009

It's a Love Hate Thing

As much as I like having a good tailwind. I absolutely hate riding into it. Saturday's ride was a prime example. Plan was to ride out to Verona and back. There was a pretty stiff head wind pretty much all the way out.

To illustrate, coming up on twenty minutes into the ride I was already calculating how much I had left. "Almost 1/9th of the way done" was what went through my head. For you math whizzes out there, I was planning on riding three hours.

I hate it, hate it, hate it. It saps the energy out of me like nothing else. And I don't buy any of that bullshit about the wind being your friend either, so don't even try.

Regardless, I made it out to my turn around point in Verona at the 1:32 mark. Made it back along the exact same route in 1:11. Almost exact same average heart rate both ways. Stupid wind.

From my driveway it is 13.6 hilly miles to the IM bike course at the corner of Syene and Irish on the stick. I'd prefer to drive out to Verona and just ride the loop every week, but when time is short, like it was on Saturday, this route will have to suffice. Either way it will be nice to have the "home field advantage" come race day.

If anyone cares to come out and ride the course with me I'd welcome the company. Drop me a line and I'm sure we can work something out, as long as your willing to slow down to my paltry 15-16mph average pace.

2 comments:

Tea said...

Ahhhh very nice....I remember last year training for CDA, and I had to deal with the most awful winds ever! 15-16 mph is hardly paltry! That will give you a great bike finish with plenty left over for the run.

(btw---The banana split recipe is on my blog now. I had other people email me about it!)

Katie said...

Hey that's usually where my pace falls, and that's not taking on the IM course hills! Don't judge! :)

I'm hoping to get in a decent long ride next weekend...maybe even take on the IM course for the first time. Eek! Let me know.