Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Have Fun

My wife tells me this every time I leave for the pool. I scoff, the pool is not fun. At least not this pool, under these circumstances.

But this training regiment, this journey towards Ironman. It should be fun, it should be enjoyable. With workout durations and intensities increasing, it's easy to forget this.

Yesterday on my ride home I encountered another rider on a side street in Madison. Nothing overly remarkable about him, middle aged man riding a 30 year old bike. But he had a huge grin on his face as he was doing big sweeping turns. Think of a skier coming down a groomed ski run, like that.

That should be me. Enjoying the moment. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely enjoying it big picture. I'm in better shape than I've ever been, doing things I never thought I'd do, I sleep better, and in general, I just feel better. But in the moment, while actually swimming, biking, or running, I definitely have difficulty remembering that this should be fun. That I should be enjoying this.

A couple of months ago I bought a little brass bell for my bike. I bought it just for this purpose. To remind myself to have fun and try not to take everything so seriously. I think it's time to install the bell.

Have fun out there. Smile. Laugh. If not at others, than at yourself. Life is to short.

2 comments:

Trishie said...

I actually snorted at Laugh. If not at others, than at yourself. HA!

Great reminder though --- for most of us, this is a hobby -- not our livlihoods. If it's not fun -- why do it ?

(and I will TRY to remember this at 5:30 am tomorrow in the pool ;))

Team Brazo said...

I know what you mean - I love the overall concept of IronMan - it is just the details that suck. Like you said, it is the affects on your life/body/etc that make it fun and necessary.

The way your training is going - you're going to lap me on the IronMan course.

Enjoy your day.