Sunday, February 24, 2008

Left foot, right foot, wet foot, wet foot

The object of today's run was to try and keep my feet dry. You see, our wonderful snow and ice covered streets began melting today, leaving water and slush everywhere. It was a minefield. The roads were bad, the sidewalks were worse.

Dry feet were not to be, despite spending quite a bit of time running down the middle of the road or even on the other side of it. When we finally got back I looked at the dog. Apparently he wasn't concerned much with the water, as he was soaked from mid-chest down.

It was a good, if not long week. 3,700 yards in the pool. 3-hours on the trainer, and I ran 18 miles to round things off. Let me repeat that for those of you in the cheap seats. I ran 18 miles this week. No walking, no walk breaks, nothing. I ran, and I ran, and I ran some more. Four miles Wednesday in the frigid cold, 8 friday night in marginally better conditions, and 6 this afternoon in the slop.

Part of me can't help but wonder if my issue with running endurance hasn't been mental. Ten days ago I could barely make 3-miles, friday I made 8, and honestly felt like I could have kept going. Today I ran at a pace faster than anything, over any distance, that I've done previously (still embarrassingly slow).

Mental hurdle or physical progress I don't know. But either way I'll take it. The plan isn't getting any easier, at least I feel like I'm getting somewhere.

No comments: