Sunday, February 3, 2008

Sorry Patrick

I'm not really sure I can say anything real meaningful about training after watching the Super Bowl. I feel terrible that I made Patrick go to bed after the first Giants touchdown. He would have loved it. One of the best super bowl games I've seen.

Week 5 is behind me, week 6 is my first scheduled off-week. I'll swim my usual 2-3 times, and probably do 2 short runs and two easy bike sessions. Nothing long or hard, just enough to keep loose. Next saturday is the UW running club 5k I need to rest up for. I've had just enough hope in my performance this week to make me think I can actually run the whole thing.

As long as there are no hills. And the weather is decent. And there are no hills, or at least no hills late. I don't know the course, one can only hope.

3,000 yards in the pool this week, including a 1,600 yard effort at a pace that would have brought me in 8-minutes under the IM swim cutoff. This was a pretty significant event for me, especially considering my paces the first few months of swimming were 1.5 - 2+ hours beyond the IM swim cutoff. In reality I'm not really swimming any faster (2:20/100), but my endurance is getting a little better, and I'm not spending nearly as much time on the wall. I celebrated by downing nearly a pound of ground beef, onions, and cheese with chips and soda, otherwise known as lunch at the Eagle Crest. Not sure how that fits into the training plan.

Two hours in total on the bike in the basement, booooooring. And now that I've got the computer on the bike I'm realizing how dreadfully slow I am down there too. 16.5-miles on the road, half of that this afternoon. Feeling pretty good about running again. Knee is hurting though, good time for an easy week.

No comments: