Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Numbers

I'm an engineer.  Work related, virtually every thing I do comes down to numbers.  More so in previous jobs where I did more design work, but still, enough of my day and my decisions revolve around numbers.  And it's really hard not to let that mindset carry over, especially into the triathlon world.

Last night was a prime example.  Short run, 30 minutes, out and back while P is at basketball.  Ran the whole thing (30-minutes is about my limit right now), and I managed to cut 20 seconds or so off on the return leg. 

Good run.

Felt good about it. 

Until I realized how far I ran, or didn't run.  It was only then, when I calculated my pace, my painfully slow pace, that I began feeling shitty about the run.  The damn numbers, all was well until I looked at the numbers.

It's one of the many little mental hurdles I'll be jumping over the next 8 months.

Today I'd be thrilled to break the 11 minute/mile mark.  Last year at the Point Bock Run in early March my pace was 9:42/mile.  Seems like a long way off, but I hope to break that pace when I run it again.

Is it really only 8 months?  Shit.


No comments: