Saturday, January 24, 2009

What have I done?

It wasn't supposed to go down like this, really. I actually had it all worked out. But let's set the stage.

For those of you that may not know, earlier this month we made the extremely difficult decision to have our dog put down. He had some aggression issues, and we just couldn't risk (another) serious incident. Our kids don't know where he went, we simply told them that he went someplace safe, somewhere he couldn't hurt anybody else. I'm not prepared to explain the harsh reality of the situation, so please, if you do happen to cross their path or ours, please be mindful of this.

That left us dogless for the first time in just over 8-years, which frankly, kind of sucks. There was a sudden realization that with two kids, and incredible amount of food actually reaches the floor. No wonder so many family pets are fat. Our vacuum cleaner was gone.

But with ironman training, I knew that this summer was no time to be training a new puppy, a new hunting buddy. The plan, get through summer, through ironman, then bring a new puppy into the house to fill the void left from ironman training. The perfect plan.

Our first vizsla purchase was done on a whim. We knew what breed we wanted, but we grabbed up the first puppy from the first litter we saw. Besides the aggression, he was a great dog and a true friend. I still miss him.

This time I was determined to get a dog out of some truly great bloodlines with the intention getting a great hunting dog and chasing as many AKC and NAVHDA titles as we could. This demanded research, so I started looking at different breeders and pedigrees, emailing some, and on monday I put a deposit down on a puppy for this fall. The plan was coming into place nicely.

But I still had my doubts about this breeder, so I kept looking and I ended up contacting a kennel I've had dealings with in the past and was very familiar with our situation and my wants.

Long story short(er), Ozzie, a 12-week old male vizsla pup, came home with me this afternoon. He's sleeping on my lap right now.

Ozzie and P


Ozzie and G

A busy summer just got a whole lot busier.
On a sidenote, trainings going well. I'm still slow as dirt, but it's going well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have tears in my eyes. What a darling pup! I can't wait to meet him! Congrats on your new purchase. And on a training note, slow or not, what you are training for is a great accomplishment. I'm rooting for you all the way!

Anonymous said...

Ozzie, Welcome to the family. Can't wait to meet you! Hope you have a big heart, filling in those shoes. Good luck with the training, both for you and your new master!