Thursday, March 26, 2009

Open Water

Lake Monona appears to be completely free of ice, which leads me to start thinking about open water swimming.  At lunch today running down the lakeshore path I noticed there were already half a dozen or so loons out there swimming.  Even stranger, none of them appeared to be together.

Also saw a large white pelican and numerous ducks and geese.  Yes, I was referring to the feathered type of loon.  While I think triathletes in general are a little odd, I don't any of us crazy enough to swim just after ice out.  I still find the loon siting odd, very rarely do I spot them this far south.

Good run, nice day, with a little urban wildlife mixed in.

2 comments:

Trishie said...

Lake Monona appears to be completely free of ice, which leads me to start thinking about open water swimming. I had to read this TWICE to make sure I read it correctly. yeeps !

Robert said...

Thinking about OWS, and actually getting in there and doing it are too completely differently things. Another two months or so and I'll be out in one of the lakes.