Saturday, March 21, 2009

Stick a Fork in Me

I'm done.

After what turned into a long afternoon nap I finally got on the bike just before 4:00. Three hours is a long time to go nowhere on a bike. The first hour wasn't too bad. Second hour seemed to take forever, but I held the best pace over the course of it. After two hours I got off for a bathroom break and stretched a bit before resuming. The last hour wasn't all bad. Ass was/is really sore, but with the end in site, the time went by a bit quicker.

Coming off the bike I actually felt really good. I've since collapsed into a very comfy chair and now everything hurts. I thought I figured out a couple of things during the ride, but right now I can only think of one.

I started eating a bar of some sort about 1-1/2 hours in, just taking a small bite every 5-10 minutes. After 2 hours, it got to be very difficult to swallow. Taste was fine, stomach was fine, just hard to get it down. Other than the bar I downed two bottles of Infinit and most of a bottle of water. Nutrition come race day is a great unknown for me. Planning on using solely Infinit on the bike, but I'd like to figure out Plan B should something go awry. Run nutrition? I have no idea.

1 comment:

Trishie said...

nice ride... wow, way to stay tough -- physically AND mentally ! I plan on using Infinit only on the bike at IM but I think I may need some solid food also . Run nutrition will be planned GU / water/ Gatorade Endurance ... but I have a feeling it will be whatever the hell I can stomach at that point ;)