Monday, August 17, 2009

Back on the Horse

Felt good to get back on the bike last week after my fall in Mt. Horeb.  Everything seems to be heeling up nicely.  My hip never really turned colors like I thought it would but it's still extremely tender, can't sleep on that side tender.  Thankfully it doesn't bother me on the bike and it's tolerable while running.  Palm of my hand looks better than it is, still some deep down soreness that really reared it's ugly head Saturday at Dairlyland Dare.

Ah yes, Dairyland Dare 100K+ of up, down, repeat.  On a hot, humid, windy day, with some crappy road conditions thrown in just to make it interesting.  On paper, this route is comparable to HHH.  I'm not buying it.  Maybe I'm just in better shape than I was at HHH, but this route, like Insane Terrain last month, just didn't bring me to my knees like HHH did in June.  There was one long steep climb where swearing would have been completely appropriate, but other than that, just a lot of moderately difficult efforts.  Was still a good ride.  Passed one guy wearing a Tour de France king of the mountain style jersey. He was walking up one of the hills.  Found it kind of humorous, no way I'm putting on that jersey unless I can climb like a mountain goat.

I'm contemplating heading back to the HHH course the last weekend in August.  I need to know if it was the course, or if I'm just in better shape.  I'm guessing it is a little of both.

2 comments:

Kristin Bradfield said...

I was thinking of coming out for Dairyland Dare next year since I can't do HHH, but if it's not as brutal, I'm not sure I want to - how sick is that??? :)

Trishie said...

Ha at the guy wearing the jersey walking up the hills ! You gotta love irony on a 100K ride !