Friday, August 7, 2009

Inevitable?

I guess it was bound to happen.  I fell off my bike yesterday morning.  I can't really justify saying that I crashed, although it certainly feels like it.

Not really sure how, was rolling through Mt. Horeb, some 30 miles into an 80+ ride. Preparing to turn left into the Kwik Trip for a break.  Actually signaled, and now with one hand on the bars my front wheel hit a big divot in the road (near as I can tell anyway) and down I went.  That's about all I know, happened pretty fast, although if I was going 10mph I'd be surprised.

My right hip and hand and took the brunt of it.  Lost a lot of skin on the palm of my hand and have a softball sized abrasion on my hip that I'm sure will change colors nicely over the next couple of days, I'll post pics when/if it happens.  Ankle, knee, and shoulder also have some minor scrapes.  Nothing too major, although I suspect my hip will be sore for quite some time and the use of my right hand will be somewhat limited until it heals.

After a suitable rest/bandaging, bike repair period we went for a short test ride. The rear derailleur was now bent at such an angle that it was hitting the spokes in the smallest gears, it's alignment was way off.  I felt good enough to limp through the rest of the ride, but not on that course without all the gears.  Ride over.

Today I'm tired, sore, and crabby.  I'd probably feel a whole lot better if I had my bike back or knew the status of it.  According to the bike shop, there is some semi-serious problem with the rear derailleur hanger.  This can't be happening now.


5 comments:

bigmike600 said...

sorry to hear that Robert. Hope things heal up QUICK. We are getting down to the wire here.

Funny but the word I have to use for security at the bottom of this is "hobble" Hope that is not a sign.

Katie said...

Did Drivers Ed teach you to keep both hands on the wheel at all time?

I'm sure they be able to get the bike up and rolling again. Derailleur hangers are easy enough to replace.

Welcome to the club. Heal quick.

xt4 said...

That SUCKS dude, but keep your chin up - at this point in the game, it's okay to have forced rest I think - you're tank is about full. Take some time to mentally sharpen up and REST, and the bike will get taken care of. You'll be rolling in no time. Eye on the prize, my man -

Trishie said...

Hope you are recovering nicely !

Kristin Bradfield said...

Wow Robert, that sucks!!! I'm so glad you weren't hurt worse but I know how frustrating it still can be. I hope your bike is ok and just a few days off will do the trick. I was so upset after my fall last Friday and was able to get back at in in just a few days. My fingers are crossed for you!