Monday, August 3, 2009

Three Weeks

Three more hellish weeks of training before the final taper into Ironman Wisconsin.  Part of me feels like taper can't get here fast enough.  The rest of me wants it all to be done with.  Those two statements were meant to be contradictory, I guess at least mentally I'm ready for race day.  Physically, not so much.

About two weeks prior to Racine I did something to irritate my hip.  Extremely painful to run on.  Drugs and adrenaline got me through race day, that was about it.  I basically took two weeks off from running, stretched more, and hoped it would resolve itself.  It's a little better now, but still painful, and I'm running much slower than usual.  I'm trying to get into the UW runners clinic, but time isn't exactly on my side with Ironman less than 6 weeks out.  Frustrating.

On a happier note, or at least a more sadistic one, I signed up for Dairyland Dare on 8/15 (and conned a friend into going with me).  This completes my summer trifecta of torturous organized group rides.  One last leg trashing ridiculously hilly ride in preparation for Ironman.

The following weekend is the last weekend prior to taper, and I plan on partaking in the 2.4 mile Madison open water swim, followed by a full course ride, and a very short run.  Still looking for company for the ride, I'll probably do 16mph at best.

That's it.  I'm hoping for three more uneventful training weeks going into taper.  No more nagging injuries, no accidents, nothing.  "Nothing Stupid" has been my mantra most of the summer.  Meaning don't do anything dumb and go and get yourself hurt.  Plan is to be extra vigilant in that regard until Ironman.  Then all bets are off.  I've been itching to go out and do some trail riding, and I also realized earlier this summer that Stoughton has a terrain park for bikes, fun.


5 comments:

Katie said...

I'm hoping to do the open water swim race....and would maybe be up for 1 loop with you.

xt4 said...

I'm doing that open water swim, too.

Yeah man, at this point - staying healthy is priority #1. Better to do too little than too much.

Where is this terrain park you speak of???

Robert said...

xt4 - I went to look for the terrain park on an arial photo and couldn't find it. I want to say it's at the sw corner of page and milwaukee. I've only run past it a couple of times. Guess it's time to go running again.

Kristin Bradfield said...

First, Dairyland Dare? Are you crazy? HHH and Insane Terrain weren't enough??? Second, I have 4 weeks until taper. Third, I want to come do that swim, course ride and run! Enjoy it all :)

xt4 said...

Hey man - G commented on my blog, looks like I missed all of you at the aquathon! She mentioned a bike accident? You okay? What happened?

Hope all is well and to see you around soon!