Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Expectations

These aren't goals per se.  More of a guide to let friends/family know where I should be when.  It's quick and dirty, but with the unpredictability involved, I'm not putting any more thought into it. 

Swim
I'm not fast, 90% of the athletes will be out and gone before me, don't worry about it. 1:30 would be an absolute dream swim for me.  Anything over 1:45 and I think I'll be disappointed.  If I can swim straight and avoid any major issues I should be able to break 1:40.

So out of the water between 8:30 and 8:45, out of transition 10 minutes later, 8:40 - 8:55.

Bike
Assuming nothing harsh in the way of weather, no real mechanical issues, I'm guessing 6:30 - 7:15.  Any faster than 6:30 and I'll be absolute toast for the run.  Goal is to go out for a nice easy ride.  I'm just fine with an uneventful 7 hours.

So on the bike:

Into Verona - 9:28 - 9:49
Back to Verona - 11:54 - 12:32
Back to Verona again - 2:20 - 3:15
Back to Madison - 3:08 - 4:09

Run
Total crapshoot, but to try and narrow it down, best case scenario I think will be 5:00.  Worst case, well... who knows could be 7 hours+, but for arguments sake, let's say 6.  We won't talk about any other possible outcomes.

Out of transition - 3:18 - 4:19
Finish first loop - 5:48 - 7:19
Finish - 8:18 - 10:19

Total time - 13:18 - 15:19

If I was a gambling man, and I guess I am, I'd put the over/under at 13:51.  Two years ago when I started this journey I thought 14 hours was doable, now, less than two weeks out I'm still pretty much right there.


3 comments:

bigmike600 said...

Save me some food Robert. I'm hoping for somewhere between 16 and 17. It's been great getting to know you and seeing you at all these common races. If I see you on the course, I will be cheering for you, even if I'm too winded to say anything.
I can't wait for this to get here.

Team Brazo said...

Sounds like you'll have a good day. This year the training was spotty at times - had other priorities, but I still feel good with my fitness level. My only goal will be to finish. I'm slightly gun shy with the bike because of my near DNF on the bike in IMKY. My thoughts are sub 1:45 on the swim, get thru the bike w/o major problems and then have fun on the run.

The IMKY bike problems came from the heat (95 degrees) and then I was not able to take in nutrition. So, this year I should remember that nutrition is vital on that bike (I knew that last yr, but didn't quite work out on the bike - on the run it worked great).

Hope to meet you during the pre-IronMan events/swims/etc - the Stoughton Pool "ladies" have filled me in on your progress.

Have fun.

Kristin Bradfield said...

These seem like solid goals. You'll have a great race.