Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Race Week Nerves

Today is Tuesday.  I think my nerves are all but shot.  I'm keeping food down but it doesn't feel like it wants to be there.  That's not good. 

I don't even know what it is.  I'm not obsessed with the weather, or gear, or race strategy, or nutrition, or anything.  But it's still there, the knot in my gut which seems to be growing exponentially as the days disappear and Ironman looms closer.  Yes I've committed close to 2 years getting ready for one day.  But in reality, regardless of the outcome life will go on, and it won't matter one bit whether I finish in 13 hours, 17 hours, or DNF.  Yet the nerves are still there.  It's stupid, and I hate the fact that I'm letting it get to me.

Four more days.  One more day of work.  Check-in on Thursday.  Prep-day Friday.  Bike check-in Saturday.  Race Sunday.  Piece of cake.


4 comments:

bigmike600 said...

Hey Robert.

Take a couple deep breaths and break this down to what it really is..a long swim, a long bike, and a long run. The people who are racing are done before we even get off the bike.

I think the hype is making this bigger than it needs to be. Once you start swimming, it's just another triathlon.

No matter what happens, you have gained friends and influenced others.

I'm done stressing over it. I really don't care about anything but trying my best and having fun and trying to see everything that I can see during the day.

Hope it goes great for all of us.

Team Brazo said...

I most admit that it does get easier (as far as nerves, not race) after the 1st go around. I don't have the nerves yet, but I'm sure they are coming soon.

Trishie said...

Normal, normal, normal. You are ready for this. ROCK IT !

Katie said...

You've logged the hours and you are ready! Now take a deep breath and enjoy the week. Stay off your week, rest up and get ready to take on Ironman 09!!

Good luck Robert! I'll be out there cheering you on. :)