Sunday, November 11, 2007

Flowers on the Wall

Yes, the Statler Brothers song. It's on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack, another of Quentin Tarantino's (I looked it up) movies with a decent mix of music. Any song that references Captain Kangaroo can't be all bad. And it's on my playlist of short songs. The list I created a month or so ago of songs less than 3 minutes in length that I thought I would attempt to run to.


Wednesday I went out to walk the dog with the intention of trying to run again. Now that I have the HR monitor I abandoned the thought of run one song, walk one. Instead I would just keep my HR in the 120-150 range. Run when it fell too low, walk when it got too high. Results were similar to my first attempt. Run about1-2 minutes, then walk, repeat. What I did notice is that my HR recovered fairly quickly, which sadly, meant more running.


About 3-miles in I had just started running again when Flowers on the Wall started playing. As was typical, my HR monitor started beeping before the song was over, but I didn't feel that bad, and I knew the end of the song was near, so I kept running, and I actually made it through the end of the song. Two minutes 25 seconds (yes, I looked that up too) and it wasn't even total hell, although I doubt I would have made it another 100 feet.


OK, I realize this is no great feat for most, if not all of you. But Flowers on the Wall will be etched in my mind as a training milestone. I didn't (couldn't) run through an entire song again the rest of the evening. Baby steps.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I have to admit, I was a little mad at you... I read this just before going out for a run the other day. And take a wild guess what song kept running through my head? And knowing only a few of the lines helped immensely. Maybe one of these days I'll invest in an ipod or some listening device so at least there's a variety of songs that I don't know the words to.

Anonymous said...

Good pick Rob!! I will have to add that to my list. I agree--the whole CD is a very good mix of music and movie lines.