Monday, November 12, 2007

"I'm gonna sit right here....

....until I die." And death didn't seam all that far off. Ok, maybe it wasn't that bad, but it was the worst I've felt since I've been back on the bike.

I was just over 2-miles (yes 2, not 20, 2) into an afternoon ride when the song Bad River started playing (the Grateful Dead version, not the Johnny Cash version). Part of the chorus is "I'm gonna sit right here until I die". That's pretty much how I felt, sitting on my bike, like I was going to be there forever, and actually completing my 12-mile loop seemed unlikely. Several times I contemplated turning around, but ultimately I plodded along and made it back.

I have several theories as to my performance. The first has to do with diet. I slept late today, skipped breakfast, didn't pack a lunch, nothing. This led to a Burger King run around 10:45 for what I thought was going to be breakfast. Turns out it was actually lunch, and all I ate until dinner tonight. Since I've started exercising and trying to eat a little better I've noticed a huge difference in how I feel on days when I eat well compared to days, well, days like today. Honestly, I never would have guessed that simply eating reasonably well could have such a significant impact on how I feel in general. Shut up G, I don't want to here it. I actually didn't even want to ride, but the weather was too nice for this time of year, I couldn't justify not going.

Actually, that's my only theory.

Interestingly enough every Burger King I frequent (I like Burger King), has a sticker in the drive through window stating they are registered at Healthy Dining Finder.com. Are you kidding, burger king = healthy? What is this country coming to? How can a restaurant like Burger King imply that they are serving healthy food? I'm sure the day is coming when one of the major fast food joints will start serving "organic" french fries and chicken strips, all deep fried of course, and start passing them off as healthy. At least I know when I go there I'm getting crap. How can the general population be so stupid?

Rant over, good day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've heard KFC no longer uses trans fats for cooking. Yes, a healthier alternative, sure. Whatever kind of fat they use, it all looks the same on my ass.