Sunday, November 11, 2007

Glacial Drumlin State Trail

Patrick and I headed up to GDST this morning to get a little fresh air before the Packer game. Him on his bike, me on foot. Figured I would run/walk based on HR as I did on Wednesday, hopefully keep Patrick within site. In getting everything ready I forgot my watch and HR monitor, realized it about 1/2 way to Cottage Grove, wasn't worth going back for, I'd just wing it.

Other than one hill at the parking area the trail was pretty much flat and straight. For those not familiar, GDST is built on an old railroad bed, and as such is probably 6-8 feet higher than the ground on either side. The trail is gravel, about 8-feet wide, small shoulders on either side, then down at maybe a 45-degree angle. It's mostly wooded, with a lot of underbrush and scrubby trees adjacent to the trail. Why do I bring this up you ask? I think you know where I'm headed.

About 1.5-miles in, Patrick is maybe 20-yards in front of me when I see him turn (I still don't know why) and ride straight off the trail into the brush and down the hill. He made it to the bottom of the hill and was off the bike but basically pinned between the bike and some brush more or less a sitting position. Oh, and there were tears, were there ever. Thankfully it was colder, so he was dressed in a sweatshirt, long pants, and gloves. The only real damage was a small scratch on his cheek and a little rough spot on one knee. If it were middle of summer I'm certain the damage would have been worse.

Pulled him out and we continued on, made it to the first road past the 2-mile mark and turned around. Nothing remarkable on the way back except for a tired boy.

Overall it was very enjoyable. I hope to do it again, was nice to be able to train and spend time with Patrick at the same time. He enjoyed it, was a race from his viewpoint. I'm pretty sure he won.

The trail really is nice, we crossed three roads (I think) before we turned around, and the visibility ahead is probably at least 1/4-mile on average. Good for situations like today, where P can ride ahead and I can see where he is at.

Next time I'll bring dog along as well, as I'm certain he knew something wasn't right as we left. He's ignored me since we've been home. Not like him, sorry dog.

No comments: