Monday, February 9, 2009

Losing It

I'm losing it, seriously. Last week it was the following series of posts from a discussion at beginner triathlete that had me laughing until I cried.

I wanted to bump that. Too many people train (for almost anything) by what Pro _____ does, or AG Guy #3, or their neighbors cat, etc. They figure it works for them, so it'll work for me. Doesn't always happen that way.
----------------
I tried training the way the neighbor's cat did in my first year of triathlon, and it was an unmitigated disaster. I'd stand there for 5 minutes, wait until something scared me, go into an all-out sprint for 30 seconds, stand there, lick off the sweat, get spooked again, sprint, lick, stand, repeat. Eff that.
-------------------
I bet the swim was a nightmare for you - truly scary.
Did you feel compelled to take a dump every time you got on the beach and bury it?

Then this morning on our internal bulletin board at work I come across the following which almost brought me to tears laughing again. These reactions are not typical of me at all.

I am looking to buy a riding lawn mower in good condition. Respond to this ad or call xxx-xxxx.
----------------------
Do you care whether or not it has been taken off of any sweet jumps?


And therein lies the problem with anonymous message boards. We get responses like this to legitimate posts all the time.

Four weeks in and I guess I'm tired. And hungry, I'm always hungry, lunch at the Eagle Crest last week actually got me through an afternoon. Nothing else has. I am trying to eat better. I've pretty much eliminated soda and fast food, but when I do go out I try to make it worthwhile, opting for local haunts instead of chains.

Overall I'm feeling pretty good. Running feels like it is starting to come around, biking is hard to tell, being stuck in the basement still sucks, first day I see 50 degrees and I'm coming out (of the basement). Swimming is swimming, I really want to get back into open water, I don't like pool swimming. Three more months?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So did you get out on Tuesday when it was 60 degrees?