Monday, January 21, 2008

knocked off my pedastal

I had been starting to feel pretty good about my progress. I can pretty consistently crank out a mile run without stopping, lately getting up to 1.5 miles out of the gate before I need a break. My last two runs I've had to stop less than once per mile for a very short walk, including a 4-miler this morning in frigid snowy conditions.

Swimming has been equally encouraging. While I don't think I'm actually swimming any faster, I'm not clinging to the edge of the pool at the end of every length either. Things are going ok and I feel good about where I'm at.

One would think my efforts in swimming and running would translate say, into biking fitness. It is not so. Today being MLK day, I had off (it's good to be a government employee sometimes) and decided to drive to Milwaukee and pick up my new tri bike. I get there and we go through set-up and fit and everything, and I say let me ride it for 1/2 hour or so on the trainer and see how it feels.

Run it though the gears, make some adjustments, ride some more, watch some dumb Tour de France video, repeat. No big deal, worked up a sweat, but never felt like I pushed all that hard.

Load up the bike for the drive home. Less than ten minutes in my legs started screaming and they haven't stopped since. Soreness like I have not felt before down the entire backside of the legs. I hope it's just from riding a new bike in a new position, it's my only thread of hope. I'm going to have to seriously reconsider my no indoor training rule if this is how I'm going to feel come spring when I can actually ride again.

Onto the good stuff, below is a pic of the new bike, Wilson.


Reading other people's blogs and race reports has instilled in me the need to name my new bike. It was actually XT4's 2006 IMoo race report and subsequent ramblings on IMoo that inspired me to come up with the name. It's not that he actually mentions the name, it's more the "relationship" he has with Ol' Blue. Read his report, it's very good.

I can only hope I can get the engine in good enough shape to actually put it to work. If I wasn't committed before, I am now.


1 comment:

J~Mom said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Love your bike! Keep up the great work!