Tuesday, May 20, 2008

By the Numbers

I try not to focus too much on numbers when it comes to training. But I'm an engineer, numbers are in my blood, it's what I do. So I track everything and analyze every ride, run, or swim.

Which brings us to this afternoon and my ride home from work, where I set a personal record on the mountain bike. Crushed my old best, by almost 2 miles per hour over 20 miles.

I have a couple of theories as to why or how. First, I haven't done a damn thing since thursday. I took Wilson out for a 2-mile shakedown ride on Sunday night, but other than that, zero, nodda, zip, zilch. Legs were about as fresh as they get. More on Wilson later.

Second, I rode with an old friend tonight who pushed me pretty much the whole way. We've had a difficult relationship, and I feel I've lost more than I've won, but not tonight. Tonight you were my friend at my side or behind me, encouraging me exactly when I needed it.

So tonight, my hat is off to the wind. Couldn't have done it without the 12-15 mph assistance. Tomorrow morning I expect we'll be back to the hate portion of our relationship when I ride back up to work.

1 comment:

Pokey said...

Holy smokes!!!! Way to crush a PR!!!