Wednesday, May 28, 2008

DFL

I'm not shooting for it. It is by no means my goal, but it is a very real possibility for my next event. The Fleet Feet Aquathon series starts tomorrow night. Thousand yard swim followed by a 5k run. The very best I can hope for is probably around 50-minutes. 20 by water, 30 by land.

Now take into account I've never swam in open water, I've never swam in a wetsuit (or a swim cap for that matter), I need to get through transition, and oh, by the way, water temperatures are around 50 F. Add it up and an hour is looking pretty miraculous. Looking at 2007 results, an hour either puts me DFL or in serious competition for it, even 50 minutes gets me pretty dam close.

And to be honest I'm ok with it. Doesn't bother me one bit. I need the experience of swimming in open water and this seems to be a decent way to get some.

Out of curiosity, I did a bit of reading on hypothermia. According to wikipedia, a water temperature of 10 degrees Celsius (50 F) can be expected to lead to death in approximately 1 hour. That's reassuring.

But there is hope on the horizon, forecast includes a chance of rain and/or storms for tomorrow afternoon. I usually don't pray for rain, but if the race was cancelled or postponed I wouldn't exactly be heart broken.

So if you're so inclined, do a little rain dance for me. But if this thing goes off I'll be there, I just hope to come out of the water with all my toes and fingers still functioning.

3 comments:

Team Brazo said...

I participated in the first Aquathon last year - it was a blast. I ended up in like 7th from last (both females and males) -- but I did pass a gentleman at the finish line that was in my age group. So, I ended up 2nd to last in my age group.

Like you said - I just don't care. It's not about the other participants -- it's about ME!!

Good luck...

Tea said...

You'll be ok. Tell yourself you'll be just fine, but prepare for the initial shock in open water. I swim in 50 degrees, it's cold. Focus on your swim--your stroke--don't focus on the water. You'll be in and out of there in no time.

Just think--if you swim fast, you'll stay warmer!!

Have a GREAT RACE!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that your optimistic side has taken over. Maybe the fear of hypothermia will move you through the water more quickly. Hopefully there's a nice bowl of warm soup or chili waiting when it's all over. I'll send all my warmest thoughts.
And even if DFL is the outcome, it's another finish. One that this girl and many others wouldn't think of doing. So give yourself a little pat on the back for me.