Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Thank You Sir,...

...may I have another.

Being the gluten I am, I headed out to Whalen from work to face the hill. This time the wind was definitely quartering into me, I still ended up in my lowest gear, and I still ended up standing the last part of it, but it didn't kill me or my spirits like the first time. It is just another hill. Regardless, the new cassette is on the way, a shiny new 12-27.

I turn around again just outside of Verona, crest a hill, and for the first time in a long time, need to shift into the big ring when I of course promptly drop my chain. So I'm coasting down this hill going maybe 25 mph, I look at my chain and get a brilliant idea. I bet I can get it back on without stopping.

Reach down, quick glance, eyes on road, glance down again. Shit, looks to be pinched in there. Coast to stop. Realize while putting it on that if I would have just spun the pedals while coasting I might have pulled it off. Next time.

From here in the ride is pretty mundane. Patrick has a soccer game so I need to get into Stoughton by 6:30. No problem. At 6:25 I pull up to Fox Prairie, it's empty, nobody there at all. I decide to do a lap around the neighborhood while trying to think it through. G emailed the location earlier, I was just there on Saturday for his last game, it looks right, but where the hell is everyone?

At 6:30 I pull back past the school, still no one. Shit, must be at Kegonsa, clear across town. Wonder how fast I can get there after nearly two hours in the saddle. Turns out to be 7 minutes and change. Game started just as I walked up to the field. How good am I?

No comments: