Thursday, May 8, 2008

I Have a Headache

Seriously.

Now that spring is finally here, and I've finally been able to get out on the road I've had a slight issue with the new bike, Wilson.  It's not hills and gears, whole separate issues, and not without headaches of their own, it's the aerobars and my wrists.

The aerobars that came with Wilson are "S" bends, they are essentially straight bars.  To hold on, ones wrists need to flex into a position, that for me isn't comfortable. (Make a fist around a pencil and then flex your wrist so the pencil is basically parallel to your forearm).  I was hoping to get used to the position, but the pain has only gotten worse the more I ride.  It's a very strange, almost arthritic type pain in the wrist, creeping up into the forearm.  I'm not a big fan.

The alternative is to replace them with bars that have a significant bend.  I don't know what they're called technically, but you grip them in a much more natural position.  Lay your forearm on your desk, pinky side down, and make a fist, it's basically like that.

So I start looking into options, find some I like, check ebay, and one particular store is happening to sell complete setups (bars and aerobars) for less than I can purchase just the aerobars.  This is where it all goes downhill, or maybe uphill is the more appropriate term.

New bars are a different diameter than the old ones.  So I need a new stem, well besides the fact that stems come in an infinite number of lengths, angles, materials, and other seemingly significant designs, the steering tube where the stem attaches to the bike can also vary in diameter.  Some quick research and I of course discover that my bike has the more obscure diameter.

Somewhere along the line I decide I need to read an article on tri-bike fitting.  I went through a bike fit, or thought I did when I bought the bike, but in reading through the article, I realize one aspect of the fit was not done,  lowering the bars.  Some quick measurements and calculations and I realize I should be able to lower the front by a good 3.5".  Deep breath.

This can in part be accomplished with a new stem.  But now I can't just buy the same length and angle, I need one with some drop, and I think it could be shorter, but I could also take out some or all of the spacers, and then maybe it could be shorter still.

Of course, most of this could be avoided if I bought just the aerobars, but now I feel the need to lower the front end to where it should be, and then I'd need a new stem anyway.  And of course, even if I do get it all back together, I should maybe be refit just to make sure.  One more quick calculation on the cost and my head is ready to explode.

2 comments:

Team Brazo said...

Ya, I understand the feeling. Last year I went through many gyrations until I finally got the bike dialed in (Trek 5000 w/fast fwd seat post, aero bars, aero drink, rear bottle holder, and on and on). Then about a month and a half before IMWI, my shoulder started giving me fits -- thankfully about 3 weeks before IMWI I found out my seat had slipped down about an inch -- causing the pain.

This year no problems so far.

I did the "tri-fit" myself via the Internet instructions and then had it doubled checked at Machinery Row.

Make sure you keep printing those checks...

Pokey said...

This post makes me glad that I only have running shoes to contend with ;)

Hope you get it all worked out!