Tuesday, May 20, 2008

St. Louis style?

I have pizza on the mind right now and the quickest way to rid mind of such thoughts are to write about them. 

The family went out for pizza last night.  Without naming names, we tried a newer place in town. If you haven't caught on by now they serve "St. Louis" style pizza, and if there's the least little hint of Encyclopedia Brown in you, you should be able to figure out where we were. 

Honestly, I didn't know St. Louis had a style, and frankly, they shouldn't. It's no wonder the great pizza debates never mention St. Louis.  New York, Chicago, maybe California, never St. Louis.

So we sit down and order our pizzas.  At this point I'm still not aware of any "St. Louis" style.  Pizza comes and isn't bad, but there's something strange about it.  G and I quickly narrow it down to the cheese, it's creamy and weird.  I don't know how else to put it.

On the way out I grab a menu to try and figure out the mystery, and there it is, Provel cheese.  Never heard of it.  Quick search and here is a summary of what wikipedia had to say:

Provel is a white processed cheese that is popular in St. Louis, Missouri. Provel is produced with cheddar, Swiss, and provolone. It is soft at room temperature, with a gooey and almost buttery texture, and thus has a low melting point. It is the traditional topping for St. Louis-style pizza .............. Although popular in the St. Louis area, Provel is rarely used elsewhere.

Well there is a good reason for that last statement, it sucks.  I thought St. Louis was weird because of fried ravioli.  But I like fried ravioli, processed cheese product, not so much.  Perhaps those of you who live or have lived in St. Louis can help me out.

I ate the leftovers for lunch today, not any different on day two. 

I gripe, but I'm still happy to have independent businesses rather than chain restaurants in the community.  I wish this place the best, the dining room was nice, the service was good, just lose the cheese, product.

2 comments:

Team Brazo said...

We've been there twice and that was enough. We love pizza and hope them the best, but I would be surprised if they make it. We've had St. Louis pizza in St. Louis and it was not that good.

Anonymous said...

Having lived in St Louis a few years, I thought I should comment on this... Had I known, I would have warned you about it. Spending what little money I had at the time on St Louis style pizza was very disappointing. The only people that like provel cheese on their pizza are those that grew up there. No one else I have known likes it. After a few strike outs, we found a few places in St Louis that served Chicago style, and stuck to those. Provel is bad. Very, very bad.