Friday, September 5, 2008

Gatorade Swim

Wow, hard to believe it's only been a little over two weeks since Pigman and the last aquathon swim.  Despite what I would call perfect conditions this morning, I felt like I had never swam in open water.

Plan was to do two laps of the leg that was marked out.  Before I even got to the start buoy I knew the plan was out the window.

On the way out I couldn't swim straight at all, was all over the place.  Never really did get in a rhythm.  Swim a bit stop look around, soak it all up, fix goggles, catch breath, swim some more.  It was cool being out there and in the start area, tons of nervous energy.  I had a knot in my stomach walking down there, can't imagine how the athletes feel.

At one point on the way back I stopped and floated on my back and just looked around.  Lake Monona feels much larger than any lake I've swam in.  I thought having the Terrace on my left on the way back would be cool.  I never saw it, unless I made a conscious effort to look for it, which was too much work.

Made it to the second to last buoy in 18:23, back in 16:08.  With the swim out and back I figure I was in the water for 40 minutes.  It was enough.

The rest of the course was getting set up as I left, I may try to get another swim in tomorrow before the volunteer meeting.  One thing is certain, I have a lot of work to do.

1 comment:

IronMin said...

Robert, I'm with you & I think it's just the nature of Lake Monona. I swam yesterday as well and did 1 loop and it felt a lot longer than the 1.2 miles I've done in the halfs. Monona Terrace is a tough landmark because it so long and that creates confusion in the water. You believe you should be passing it and you look up & it feels like you haven't even moved.
Your swim time is really good, in my opinion. I forgot my watch for mine but I would say I was around 45 minutes. I think you've got the swim in a better place for you than you think. Hope to see you on Sunday around the course!