Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Plan

I'm not sure how well the following will show up, but it's basically my training plan for the next year in short form.

The IM plan morphed from a 30-week plan outlined in Don Fink's book, beIRONfit. The plan called for a 1/2 distance race at week 22. I want to do two 1/2's next year, so I'm starting early and repeating 5 weeks in the middle.

Seeing as I can't swim and I've never been a runner, I've morphed the plan a little more to incorporate some additional work in these areas.

First the swim, starting way early and focusing on open water come summer. I'm leaving myself another couple of months rest to hopefully get my shoulder recovered and my attitude adjusted. When I do start swimming again I'll be looking for some help to get my stroke in order. Sally, I'm looking at you.

As far as the run, I want to get a marathon in, and do it early in the spring before IM training gets heavy. I'd have liked to do one earlier, but I couldn't find anything appealing. I'll outline key races in another post.

For the next 12 weeks it's just going to be running with the goal of shaving some time off my 5k. No formal bike training plans. I'll probably commute to work some more, and I'd really like to do more trail riding now that it's cool and the bugs are gone, but nothing formal for the bike.

I think that's it, comments and thoughts appreciated.

4 comments:

IronMin said...

Robert, I had never done a marathon before IM & I felt like I needed to do one too - but my coach advised against it. It takes a long time for your body to recover from that and it's tough to give up that kind of training time in the course of 1 year. You'll be in your base phase when the marathon rolls around and it will throw you off plan. Half marathons and Half ironmans will tell you that you can cover the distance, without the weeks & weeks of recovery you need after a full marathon. Just my 2 cents... Your plan looks very solid though. I'm no expert, but I wanted to throw in my learnings about the marathon. I will be tracking your journey and can't wait to cheer you on next year!

Robert said...

Thanks min, I may end up bagging the marathon, but I think I'll at least go into winter with the training plan and see how I feel.

Now, more importantly, don't you have a race report you should be writing.

Team Brazo said...

When I did IMWI 2007, I did the Green Bay Marathon in May of that year. That seemed to work good. I really get me fitness from my run and then use that fitness to get through the swim and bike. After the marathon, I did mostly swim and bike the rest of the way.

Kat~ said...

Ironmin is right. Just finished Iroman Wi also. Was also told to stick with halfs and not full marathons.
Good luck!! It's a blast. I have a golden ticket for 2009 but still waiting to make sure once I'm off the Iron High.
Kat~