Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Some things just don't feel right...

....like walking into St. Ann's while listening to Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio on the Ipod. But I'm getting ahead of myself, let's start from the beginning.

I intended to get up early this morning and swim, but I overslept and didn't make it. Pulled up the Monona Grove pool schedule and formulated a new plan, swim at noon over lunch. MG pool is open 11:30 - 1:30 weekdays. I have a pretty flexible work schedule, so I should be able to swim here when other plans go awry.

MG pool is nice. Water was warm, only two or three others there. Still can't swim on my stomach. Managed 40 lengths (1,000 yards) in just under the hour I was there. Mostly backstroke, mostly in 4-8 length increments. Legs felt pretty good. Swam with goggles for the first time. I don't know that it helped any. I feel the biggest issue on my stomach is breathing.
On my back I can breathe at my leisure, on my stomach it's timing and taking quick breathes. Anyone know a good swim coach?

So this afternoon I decided to walk to school to pick up Patrick from after school care. He's been wanting to walk home ever since I tricked him into thinking we were walking home from Kayser a month or so ago. Made it to the park when I first realized this was going to be a mistake. Swimming was harder on the legs than I had thought. But I covered the 2 miles without issue, and just as I'm coming up to school, on comes Coolio...

Patrick enjoyed the walk home, got a little tired towards the end, but overall it was good. The leisurely pace was easier on my legs. Surprisingly it only took 15-minutes longer on the return trip, including a brief stop at the church on the corner to look at the cranes on the lawn.

Tomorrow afternoon should be a return to the bike.

No comments: