Saturday, October 20, 2007

First IM in the books

That's right, with this mornings ride, I've finished my first Ironman, at least the distance of one. Only took me about six weeks. In actual training time, just over 20 hours. Five swim workouts, 9 on the bike, and 7 walks to accumulate my first 140.6 miles. Swim took two plus hours too long, bike about one, and walking was pretty much right on pace. I think I'm ready, bring it on :) I'm actually quite surprised by the total time, thought it would be higher. It's somewhat encouraging.

Yesterday I went bike shopping. I hate shopping, even for something as cool as a new bike. Machinery Row was by far the most helpful shop I stopped at. Found a couple possible options, great end of season deals, but I'm not sold yet. I have a hard time pulling the trigger on purchases of this type. Took me forever to buy new golf clubs after I started looking, there's something so final about it.

Tonight it's back to the old mistress, poker. Perhaps if I talk to her real nice I can convince her to pay for this whole IM adventure. I haven't really figured it out yet, but the downside of this journey is definitely the cost. Bike, wetsuit, registration, shoes, clothes, etc. I'm guessing that when all is said and done, there could be a $2k to $3k bill attached. Time to start a new spreadsheet.

No comments: