Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Odds and Ends

The two books I ordered came in today. First is beIRONfit by Don Fink. Second is Triathlon Swimming Made Easy by Terry Laughlin. This is the book that is supposed to teach you how to swim from square one. I will probably be through both books by the end of the weekend. If anyone wants to borrow, let me know.

Second, there's this comment button on the bottom of each of my posts, use it!!! I've gotten a lot of feedback, most of it second hand through G. Writing this blog isn't exactly work, but it's a lot easier when I know people are reading it. The way I see it, a bribe is in order, a two parter.

Back in early September I went up to hodag country to harvest wild rice. What's a hodag you ask? Good question, apparently in Rhinelander there is so little to keep people occupied they feel the need to make up mythical creatures and name town events after them. Anyway, the rice is back from the drying and cleaning place, and we have a lot of it. So to all out there reading this, I'm willing to share the harvest with any that are willing to leave comment. Be funny, be critical, be supportive, be stupid, I don't care, but comment, and the bounty of hodag country will be yours as well.

Second I've added a "tentative race schedule". I'll actually make dinner (with or without wild rice) for the first person (and their family) who commits to joining me in a race, either on my schedule or an event of your choosing. I'm trying to keep training interesting and diverse, so events out of the ordinary will receive special consideration. I'm also looking for suggestions for events to fill out the schedule.

I think that's it. I need to go eat, again.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried to comment once before, but the computer wouldn't let me. Your feelings about being in workout clothes... that's how I feel about being on the computer. Anyhow, I just caught up with reading the past few weeks, and I must admit, you crack me up! I never knew you could write so well and so humorously. I especially enjoyed Chili's comments. I often imagine Charlie and Buddy's thoughts when we walk with the girls (sometimes at a negative mph pace) so this was particularly amusing. I admire your stamina to this point. I hope you stick with it so I can amuse myself with your writings, and so maybe I'll have a reason to stay in shape so I can keep up with you. Although honestly, you won't catch me biking or swimming anytime soon. So, we can always talk about some road race. But just a reminder... Most of these races are done during daylight hours - so eventually someone might see you in your workout clothes!

Anonymous said...

p.s. About time you started eating more. Maybe you could teach your daughter and mine how to eat better. And I'll take some of that rice.

Anonymous said...

As soon as I figure out how to get Mela to eat, I'll let you know. Rice is yours (she doesn't eat that either).

Anonymous said...

Would you prefer comments rather than emails? How's the swimming book coming along? I may be interested in taking a peek. Opposite of you, I have been sticking to the indoor mode of exercise--treadmill, eliptical, and recumbent bike. Armed with MP3 player and TV on closed caption, it has been better than I thought. I feel great after my workouts and lap swimming. I have found your entries to be enlightening in my quest to become more active. If rice is still available, I will take some.

Anonymous said...

Yes to comments and rice. I'm begining to think I won't be able to get away from at least some indoor training. Can I count on you to join me in a triathlon next year?

Anonymous said...

Tri next year? NO. I believe in Nick's strategy, the one he used for getting through high school--the 5 year plan. Seriously, I don't see myself riding a bike, at least not one that rides outdoors. The nice thing about the indoor bikes? It has that nice big granny seat that doesn't hurt my butt. I don't know how driving a three-wheel bike will look in the triathlon. Getting to the point of riding a normal bike may take a little while. Not one of my goals at this point. But who knows where baby steps will get me! g emailed a link to a blog for me for motivation. In effect, tomorrow will mark the start of my food journaling and exercise logging. I'm in it full force now.

Anonymous said...

What do you mean nothing to do in Rhinelander besides make stuff up? If I think for a few minutes I'm sure to come up with something...well you're right, nothing! Take it from someone who grew up there.

Anyway, I'll do the Fat Tire with you. Yes me, sounds crazy that I would consider such a thing, but Stacey caught me in a moment of weakness (and she has been hounding me to ride that damn MT bike I bought).